Subject: Re: NetBSD Guide in Base System
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 03/10/2006 23:05:51
Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org> writes:

> "Martin S. Weber" <Ephaeton@gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>> Isn't the source of the guide the xml-panacea in the meantime ?
>> Spit out some *roff output out of the xml source which can be
>> rendered by the base text tools to more-or-less/text output, then.
>
> Yes XML->*roff is what we want here.  Does anybody here have experience
> with generating *roff from XML?  I know it's possible, just not sure how
> well a structured document like the Guide translates to *roff.

Disclaimer: I don't have experience with it, but I'll just add my
thoughts about it to the discussion. They *can* be far away from the
truth. ;-)

There are two aspects that I would like to point:
      1) As you mentioned, the NetBSD guide has a well defined
      structure. This won't fit in a man page well (groff_mdoc(7) is
      what I would accept at the maximum).
      I would expect DocBook-XML->info would work clearly well.
      don't know how much, but I'm sure it will take some decent
      ammount of RAM + CPU time to get loaded.

--
  Rui Paulo			<rpaulo@{NetBSD{,-PT}.org,fnop.net}>