Subject: Re: NetBSD Guide in Base System
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 03/10/2006 22:55:49
James Boothe <kernelpanicked@bsdnut.com> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 03:13:16PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Rui Paulo wrote:
>> >I would want to point out that we can include the txt version of the
>> >guide easily in the base system and it won't need any browser.
>> >It's also easy to add the pkgsrc guide to the system this way.
>>
>> We don't have pkgsrc (or even /usr/pkg or /var/db/pkg) in the base system,
>> so there's probably no good reason to include the pkgsrc guide - all
>> that's needed to get started should be in afterboot(8) and INSTALL.*.
>>
>> As for the NetBSDGuide.txt ... I'm not sure that's a big win, as there are
>> lots of images in there.
>>
>> On the other handside, if it helps that people actually _work_ on the
>> Guide, that would be a positive effect.
>>

>>  - Hubert
>
> You have a good point about the pkgsrc guide, however, I think the
> NetBSD guide could be converted to text easily. Most of the images in
> there are in the installation and disk partitioning sections. There's
> not a whole lot to be gained by including images of the install in the
> base system, since you would already be past the install at that
> point.

Hmm, I don't think that's totaly true. There are decent and helpful
images in the NetBSD guide besides the install images (for example,
see the networking chapter).
It is a valid point that if we let them out, the guide would lose a
lot of it's current value (that's probably one of the reasons why we don't
currently generate the NetBSD guide in text form only, but we can do
it with the pkgsrc guide since there aren't any images in it).

--
  Rui Paulo			<rpaulo@{NetBSD{,-PT}.org,fnop.net}>