Subject: Re: simplifying htdocs build procedure (long term)
To: None <rpaulo@fnop.net>
From: Hiroki Sato <hrs@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 02/01/2006 18:19:17
----Security_Multipart(Wed_Feb__1_18_19_17_2006_909)--

Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net> wrote
  in <87k6cg3vtj.fsf@quark.mobile.fnop.net>:

rp> Some points:
rp>
rp> * If the tools didn't need X11, then we could put it on the NetBSD build
rp>   boxes, but since they do, we need another solution.

 If you mean X11 as a running X11 server, it is not needed.
 However, some graphics manipulation tools depend on X11
 libraries and some depend on Gnome components (XML parser
 and so on).  Should we eliminate dependency on such libraries, too?

rp> * Petra pointed out that we could create another dir in our cvs tree,
rp>   but this still has the problem of generated files under CVS control
rp>   (which is sub-optimal IMHO).
rp>
rp> * Relying on a developer to do the regen is sub-optimal too.

 Hmm, I think imposing regen to the developers puts them
 to annoyance since they have to install all of the toolchains.
 Thorny thing.

rp> How does FreeBSD do it ?

 Simply doing "cvs update" the whole directory tree periodically
 and building it on the www server.  The www mirror admins fetch
 the resulting file via HTTP or CVSup (basically CVSup can be used
 for regular files as a rsync replacement).