Subject: Re: New NetBSD developer's guide [was Re: File systems documentation]
To: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 01/27/2006 15:21:59
On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 04:08:04PM +0200, Mike M. Volokhov wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:14:15 +0000
> Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net> wrote:
>
> > "Julio M. Merino Vidal" <jmmv84@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > one of the goals of the tmpfs Summer of Code project was to write
> > > documentation about NetBSD's VFS subsystem.  During August, I wrote
> > > part of it but, unfortunately, it wasn't made public (my mentor, whom
> > > I'm CCin, even reviewed it).
>
> This is really good news!
>
> [snip]
> > How about splitting this into the 'NetBSD developers guide' or 'NetBSD
> > development guide' ?
>
> Seconded.
>
> [snip]
> > > I'd like to add this to htdocs as is instead of keeping the files
> > > privately.  Yes, they are incomplete, but they can currently help
> > > potential contributors to understand how file systems work; plus
> > > they can also make other writers contribute other stuff.
> >
> > Please go ahead and commit to htdocs.
>
> I wish to create yet another section on NetBSD website to store this
> book separately from the Guide. It's should not be in htdocs/developers,
> because it's not only TNF developer's documentation (rather doc for
> NetBSD development). And it is, of course, far beyound user guide.

What about htdocs/Documentation/internals?  (It all depends on the name
chosen.)

Once we decide on a name for the directory, I'll split the chapters from
the guide and make them independent.  But we ought to listen for more
opinions first.

> Variants for the reference:
>
> 1. NetBSD Internals
> 2. NetBSD Design & Implementation
> 3. NetBSD Developer's Handbook
> 4. NetBSD System Programming
> 5. Understanding NetBSD
> 6. your variant

I think I prefer 1 too, as Masao has stated.

Cheers,

PS: Why is the Guide in htdocs/guide and not htdocs/Documentation/guide?