Subject: Re: FreeBSD User Management documentation
To: Liam J. Foy <liamfoy@sepulcrum.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 11/03/2005 23:46:56
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Liam J. Foy wrote:
>> Looking a bit closer, I actually think that the whole "6. The second boot"
>> chapter should be removed, as the mounting of CD-ROMs and floppies is
>> covered in 13. Using removable media", system shutdown and rebooting
>> should be in 5.10 "Rebooting the system".
>
> I agree here. I have currently moved 6.7 into 5.10.

Looking at 5.10 "Rebooting the system", this contains more information,
and it should also point to further information, at least the afterboot(8)
manpage for a lot more data.

I'd suggest renaming the existing 5.10 from "Rebooting the system" to
"Things to check after the first complete boot".

Then add 5.11 "Rebooting the system" which basically has data from 6.7.

> Am thinking of
> moving 6.1(dmesg) into 5 (first boot). What you think?

Sounds good - as first section before the existing 5.1.

> As for 6.4, am not too sure on what would be the best place.

Me neither.

How about putting it into 13. "Using removable media" and rename that to
"Using removable media and disks"?

Or adding a new chapter "Disks and Filesystems" before the existin 13.
which could take this information, and which should be merged with lots of
data from the "Disks &
Filesystems" section of http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/misc/.

But maybe do one thing at a time...

  - Hubert