Subject: Re: netbsd historical bg
To: None <zafer@gmx.org>
From: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 09/26/2005 14:18:41
"Zafer Aydogan" <zafer@gmx.org> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> unfortunately the NetBSD Guide  doesn't cover the historical background of
> NetBSD and how the Name "NetBSD" evolved and why it is called "Net" BSD.
> Also no names are mentioned, like who formed the NetBSD Group or who worked
> on NetBSD before 0.8.
> It would be great to add more Information about NetBSD's History to the
> Guide.
>

> Z.

 Did you look at this page?

http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/about.html

  The "BSD" in our name is an obvious recognition of our heritage as a
  derivative of 4.4BSD and 386BSD.

  Our contributors communicate primarily via email and Internet-based chat
  systems; many of us have never met each other in person. We also use a
  remote source code management system called CVS which enables a large
  number of developers to do independent work on the same source tree
  easily. We believe that the Internet was an enabling technology that
  made NetBSD possible. The ?Net? in our name was thus chosen as a tribute
  to the Internet."

 http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/about.html is linked to from
http://www.netbsd.org/ -- upper left corner the very first link.

There's a lot more information in the links in about.html, such as
http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/history.html .

There's a link from history.html to this page:

 ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/release/NetBSD/NetBSD-0.8

 Which lists a lot of the people who put work into the code from which
NetBSD derived.  See the very end of the document for "We are:".

Seems like everything you are looking for is already in about.html.

 -johan