Subject: NetBSD features
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 09/16/2005 12:57:19
Hello List,

while reading http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/features.html, I recognized that
NetBSD mistreats other Operation System, or tries to look them bad compared
to NetBSD. This is inadequate.

In Sentences like,  NetBSD is <strenght>... while other OS <are bad> is not
very polite, therefore I would suggest to reword following sentences:

"...but as time progresses the NetBSD codebase is getting even stronger and
easier to manage, while other systems that value features over code quality
are finding increasing problems with code management and conflicts."

"We were not the first BSD to make a CVS repository available, but we were
the only one to meticulously check every file and remove only those
revisions that contained tainted USL code, rather than discarding every
revision before an arbitrary date."

"...media hype. You'll need to get that somewhere else."

"Note that unlike some other systems NetBSD imposes metadata write ordering,
allowing fsync(2) to be used to avoid important data loss in the event of
power failure, even on ext2fs."

---
I doubt that these are still true:

"NetBSD is being used at NASA's Numerical Aerospace Simulation facility for
a reason."
Is this still true ? If not, it should say "was being used".

"NetBSD was the first free OS to provide a leading edge standards conforming
IPv6 implementation".
-IPv6 came with NetBSD 1.5 in December 2000. FreeBSD provided IPv6 with
Version 4.0 in March 2000. 9 Month earlier.

Regards, Zafer.