Subject: Re: guide - czech translation
To: rudolf <netbsd@eq.cz>
From: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 09/03/2005 00:05:59
--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

On 2005.08.26 23:14:20 +0000, rudolf wrote:
| Hi,
|=20
| after consultation with the kind people from www@netbsd.org I've started=
=20
| translation of the NetBSD guide to czech language. It's not going to be=
=20
| a rapid process, but I want to make it happen.
|=20
| So I've put a dedicated site into operation and I'm going to publish the=
=20
| translated files there:
| http://netbsd-guide.eq.cz/
|=20
| I'm also going to publish generated html files so please review them and=
=20
| let me know about any errors and issues.
|=20
| I can't make the html files with the charset=3DISO-8859-2 head, with=20
| "XML_ENCODING=3D iso-8859-2" in Makefile I achieved only ISO-8859-1 with=
=20
| the specific czech characters in body as html entities. So the one html=
=20
| file currently published is generated without "XML_ENCODING=3D iso-8859-2=
"=20
| in Makefile and the charset is manually changed. What's the canonical=20
| way of generating different charset head here, please?

Isn't best to use XML entities to display czech characters?

| Two remarks to existing english text:
|=20
| I have found following two sentences in the chap-intro.xml file:
| "When you install &os; you have a rich set of programs and applications=
=20
| that you can install on your system."
| "When you install &os; you don't find huge pre-packaged collections of=20
| applications;"
| I know what this should mean, but given like this it just doesn't sound=
=20
| consistent.

Given the full text, it sounds a bit consistent, but there is probably
a better way to explain that and I haven't come up with one yet.

| In the chap-intro-applications section is also a todo mark:
| <!-- *** TODO *** other emulations -->
| Here definitely should be the NetBSD's capabiliy of backward=20
| compatibility. I've not seen very much operating systems, but I think=20
| the NetBSD's smooth way of upgrades makes it really different from them.

Err, what has backward compatibility to do with emulations ? I think that
comment is there because the next <para> misses some emulations like
Darwin, OSF1, Linux, Irix, etc.

		-- Rui Paulo

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J--