Subject: Which HTML standard to follow?
To: None <netbsd-docs@NetBSD.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.jul.fuenf@onlinehome.de>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 07/18/2005 23:57:05
Hi,

as PR admin/30763 points out (I had meant to start validating again, but
did not follow up :-/) we have a bad mix of DOCTYPE declaration and
actual content in our pages at the moment.

My opinion regarding the DOCTYPE is, that we should try to stay with
"HTML 4.01 Transitional" and not go the XHTML 1.0 route yet.

The only way I would reconsider this would be if it turns out too much
hassle to keep HTML 4.01 and become standards compliant, ie if our
tools prevent us from producing valid HTML 4.01.

As a first step to compliance, I think we should banish the
xmlns=".../xhtml" attributes by using exclude-result-prefixes="html".

Opinions?

ciao
     Klaus