Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Indentation style and other nits
To: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.jul.fuenf@onlinehome.de>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 07/18/2005 14:44:28
Hello!

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:43:17 +0200
Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.jul.fuenf@onlinehome.de> wrote:

> Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
> > I wonder if there's some tool like pkgsrc/www/tidy or indent(1) for
> > DocBook/XML, to make it easier to get to that style?
>
> I found textproc/xmlindent and wip/xmlformat-{perl,ruby} but have not
> used either of them. Maybe Mishka can say something about the latter.

The xmlformat is easy to use and robust tool. You may format any XML
document by providing compact specification, which is described in
detail and accomplished with many good examples at:

	http://www.kitebird.com/software/xmlformat/

Some time ago we (Hiroki Sato, Rui Paulo, and me) have discussed it at
netbsd-docs (please see posts with topic "Re: CVS commit: htdocs/guide/
en" at http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-docs/2005/05/). I've created
bare minimum configuration and Hiroki optimized it in own way (both
included in archives).

There are only one problem I've found when using xmlformat. When it
handles block of text, say <para/>, the calculated line lengths after
wrapping don't take into account opening tag, which results in
overestimated length of the very first line in case if opening tag
located at this line too. For example:

	<exampletag>text text text text
	text text text text
	text text text text
	text</exampletag>

This problem appears only if you've used inline formatting, word
wrapping, and point xmlformat to non and, of course, may be
workarounded using the following way:

	<exampletag>
	text text text text
	text text text text
	text text text text
	text
	</exampletag>

I hope fix this bug, but haven't looking it closely :-/ Anyone?

--
Mishka.