Subject: Re: NetBSD Guide
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 06/20/2005 22:49:56
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> I was a little bit confused why the NetBSD Guide isn't available in PDF
> Format? You would say "it is", yes, but after downloading and unpacking a
> .gzip. I would like to open the PDF directly.

http://www.netbsd.org/guide/download/netbsd-en.pdf.gz gives me a working
PDF file after gunzip - what exactly did you download, and what happened?

> The next thing is, that whoever converted the PDF to HTML/SGML has not used
> the same Charset/Fonts / Stylesheets. The online Guide looks ugly compared
> the PDF. For example the spaces on the left and right side of each page are
> missing. It written full width. That's not a Documentation Standart, I
> suppose.

We don't convert PDF->SGML, but rather XML->{HTML,PS,PDF}.
Personally, I have no problems reading the Guide at
http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/, and in HTML it's usually not the case to
keep 1:1 the formatting as you have in a print format, so why waste
whitespace on the left and right border. Of course you're welcome to
shrink your browser windows to get that, but ... :-)

As for a "Documentation Standard", we're using DocBook/XML.

  - Hubert