Subject: Re: better integration of news pages for NetBSD and pkgsrc
To: None <netbsd-docs@NetBSD.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <heinz@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 05/29/2005 16:11:59
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> >  <sect3 id="yyyymmddnn-identifier" class="news.pkgsrc">
>
> Tagging news that way looks ok to me, but for the port-sepecific things I
> wonder if/how things that affect more than one port could be done - are
> multiple "class" attributes allowed, or something like
> "class=port-i386,amd64"?

This is the snag I found while thinking about this before. You cannot
have multiple attributes with the same name. We can surely overload the
meaning of class (as I did above with the id attribute) but this can
become a bit ugly. And if we stick to Docbook for this we cannot simply
invent new attributes/tags.

So it seems we could use a central place for news where "interested"
pages would extract their news items from. In this case we probably should
not hang on to the format of htdocs/Changes/index.xml but have a single
list of news items in a separate file. This should then use a customised
XML dialect  with support for all the features we may want (<date> tag
instead of overloaded "id" attribute, a facility to mark items as
interesting for different pages, what-else?).

ciao
     Klaus