Subject: Re: do we need a DTD for a new application?
To: None <k.heinz.apr.fuenf@onlinehome.de>
From: Hiroki Sato <hrs@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 04/18/2005 03:21:39
----Security_Multipart(Mon_Apr_18_03_21_39_2005_774)--

Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.apr.fuenf@onlinehome.de> wrote
  in <20050416185631.GJ478@silence.homedns.org>:

k.> Should we simply go ahead and create (or at least propose and then
k.> discuss) new tags as we need them for special applications?
k.> At the moment I would like to have new tags for
k.> htdocs/gallery/consultants.xml, which is a wild mix of XML/HTML tags and
k.> too complicated, IMO.

 I think we should use as much the existing tags as possible.
 For example, <portnews> and <portnewsitem> in portpage.xsl can
 be rewritten with  <sect1 role="portnews"> and <para role="newsitem">.
 The role attribute is used for this sort of classification, and
 the element itself should be used to express logical structure
 of the content according to DocBook's vocabulary.

 Of course, we need to add a new tag in some cases, but if we do so,
 discussion and tweak of the DTD are needed at least.

 For consultants.xml, I like to make another XML database like this:

 <entry>
   <name></name>
   <email>...</email>
   <url>...</url>
   <location></location>
   <expertise></expertise>
   <environments></environments>
 </entry>

 <entry>

 and convert this to DocBook using an XSLT, and then put the
 converted entries to consultants.xml using XInclude.
 We do not need to stick to docbook-website here.