Subject: Re: More XSL Guide customization
To: Hiroki Sato <>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 02/14/2005 11:30:26
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 03:08:35 +0900 (JST)
Hiroki Sato <> wrote:

> "Mike M. Volokhov" <> wrote
>   in <>:
> m> I'm working on build process of Russian translation of The NetBSD Guide.
> m> The problem is chunked HTML output is always ISO-8859-1 encoded, which
> m> is not acceptable for Russian (and I believe some other languages too).
>  I think $XML_ENCODING in the Makefile in the language dependent directory
>  is enough.  Didn't it work?

Unfortunately, no. XML_ENCODING is used within three cases:

1. When generating *.xsl files (seems doesn't really used, alas).
2. When producing work *.xml files (as <?xml encoding="FOO"?>).
3. And when producing *.txt files (as w3m option).

The best way to done this within cases above is a very first point, if
master*.xsl files would contain something like:

	<xsl:param name="chunker.output.encoding">@@HTML_ENCODING@@</xsl:param>
	<xsl:output encoding="@@HTML_ENCODING@@"/>

Yes, I've used HTML_ENCODING so as XML_ENCODING doesn't set *output*
encoding at all, but default output encoding is always ISO-8859-1.

Moreover, XML_ENCODING and SX_ENCODING seems cannot be set to different
values, so as XML_ENCODING sets the encoding in "<?xml?>" tag, when
SX_encoding produces output encoding used for .xml document. Thus, it
may be cause to conversion problems for XSLT processor (which I've

Then, when for single HTML document we may set <xsl:output encoding=""/>
inside <lang>/share/default-html.xsl stylesheet, for the splitted HTML
output we should define chunker.output.encoding XSL parameter for this.

Correct me please if I'm wrong.