Subject: Re: More XSL Guide customization
To: Hiroki Sato <hrs@NetBSD.org>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 02/14/2005 11:30:26
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 03:08:35 +0900 (JST)
Hiroki Sato <hrs@NetBSD.org> wrote:

> "Mike M. Volokhov" <mishka@apk.od.ua> wrote
>   in <20050212143641.68108446.mishka@apk.od.ua>:
>
> m> I'm working on build process of Russian translation of The NetBSD Guide.
> m> The problem is chunked HTML output is always ISO-8859-1 encoded, which
> m> is not acceptable for Russian (and I believe some other languages too).
>
>  I think $XML_ENCODING in the Makefile in the language dependent directory
>  is enough.  Didn't it work?

Unfortunately, no. XML_ENCODING is used within three cases:

1. When generating *.xsl files (seems doesn't really used, alas).
2. When producing work *.xml files (as <?xml encoding="FOO"?>).
3. And when producing *.txt files (as w3m option).

The best way to done this within cases above is a very first point, if
master*.xsl files would contain something like:

	<xsl:param name="chunker.output.encoding">@@HTML_ENCODING@@</xsl:param>
	<xsl:output encoding="@@HTML_ENCODING@@"/>

Yes, I've used HTML_ENCODING so as XML_ENCODING doesn't set *output*
encoding at all, but default output encoding is always ISO-8859-1.

Moreover, XML_ENCODING and SX_ENCODING seems cannot be set to different
values, so as XML_ENCODING sets the encoding in "<?xml?>" tag, when
SX_encoding produces output encoding used for .xml document. Thus, it
may be cause to conversion problems for XSLT processor (which I've
obscured).

Then, when for single HTML document we may set <xsl:output encoding=""/>
inside <lang>/share/default-html.xsl stylesheet, for the splitted HTML
output we should define chunker.output.encoding XSL parameter for this.

Correct me please if I'm wrong.

--
Mishka.