Subject: Re: chap-rf.xml overhaul -- testers & proof reading?
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 09/10/2004 07:31:24
"Brian A. Seklecki" writes:
> > > Although NetBSD is the primary platform for RAIDFrame development,
> > > it can naturally be found in OpenBSD and FreeBSD, however another
> > > in-kernel RAID system is being developed: Vinum
> >
> > Although NetBSD is the primary platform for RAIDFrame development, it
> > can also be found in OpenBSD and FreeBSD.  NetBSD also has another
> > in-kernel RAID system called Vinum, but it will not be discussed here.
> >

> Right, this is better wording, but I didn't want to preclude OBSD users
> looking for a procedural reference, which I don't think that this does.

Actually.. I think I like this wording better:

Although NetBSD is the primary platform for RAIDFrame development,
RAIDframe can also be found in OpenBSD and FreeBSD.  A different
in-kernel RAID system called Vinum is available on some of
the *BSDs but it will not be discussed here.

> > > Unfortunately, there is no list dedicated to RAIDFrame support.
> >
> > Acutally.. there is... raidframe@cs.cmu.edu or maybe I should say
> > "was"...  the list has been horribly inactive, and I'm not sure if
> > anything I sent there in March of this year actually made it out :(
>
> So should I bother mentioning it?  I don't see a searchable list archive
> anywhere.

No..

> Perhaps, "There is no *NetBSD* list dedicated..."

That might be the best.

> > > other RAID levels should be considered
> >
> > This implies RAID 1 wouldn't be appropriate... s/should/might/.
> >

> I have changed this to:
>
> "Because RAID-1 provides both redundancy and performance improvements,
> its most practical application is use on critical "system" partitions
> such as /, /usr, /var, swap, etc., where read operations are more
> frequent than write operations.

Actually...  if read's are much more frequent than writes, then you
may want RAID-5 instead.

I was too lazy to repeat what the man-page said :)

> <tip> worthy due to the Dependency on NetBSD 2.0+
>
> When the time comes, in the future, I'll re-run through the process with
> that and capture command output as such.
>
> "Tip
> On systems running NetBSD 2.0+, you may substitute a "bogus" component
> such as /dev/wd9a for a special disk name "absent""

"On systems running NetBSD 2.0+, you may substitute the special disk
name "absent" for a "bogus" component such as /dev/wd9a."

> > Looks good!! :)
>
> Good; I'm glad you approve so far.

Yes.  'man raidctl' is supposed to be sufficient to get people going
with RAIDframe, but it doesn't hurt at all to have extra documentation.

> I had to re-write all of this with
> the advent of RAIDFrame in the install kernels, and eventually
> integration into sysinst looming overhead, eventually.
>
> Better late than never.  Plus there's plenty of room for improvement on
> a document that is structured for such improvements.
>
> A RAID-5 example and a FAQ section would probably be nice.

The FAQ section on my web-page has pretty much stagated...  I'm not
sure what would go into a FAQ these days -- I can't think of any
question that gets asked a zillion times..

Later...

Greg Oster