Subject: Re: Content of the Guide (was Re: RFC: Chapter 9. Compiling the kernel)
To: Daniel de Kok <>
From: Pavel Cahyna <>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 08/10/2004 10:55:04
Sorry for the delay.

> Please, be aware that the guide serves a different purpose. For instance,
> there were some plans to print the guide. A printed guide would be useless
> for most people if some major topics are only covered on the website. Besides

OK, I didn't know that. I did some very quick research and I found that:

- FreeBSD has both a FAQ and a handbook. But FreeBSD probably has much
  more resources to spend on maintaining possibly duplicated information.

- OpenBSD has a FAQ only, whose content seems to be quite similar to the
  various NetBSD FAQs at, but it is organized
  in chapters and available in the installed system, also in PDF format,
  so it is probably better suited to printing as a book.

Could the goals that you mention be achieved with less duplication of
information and maintenance effort by providing the (possibly
restructured) FAQs instead of the guide, maybe in a manner similar to

> that I have had many positive comments regarding the guide, and the Dutch
> translation. Many people seem to like that they can download one complete

See the discussion on port-macppc (cited in one of my previous emails) for
a not-so-positive comment.

Bye	Pavel