Subject: Content of the Guide (was Re: RFC: Chapter 9. Compiling the kernel)
To: Daniel de Kok <daniel@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 08/04/2004 07:50:57
> > Of course, all those errors can be corrected. But until this is done, the
> > guide should not be published IMHO, as it only scares new users. Or it
> > should be given as a preview, with big warning that it is under construction
> > and possibly inaccurate.
>
> Sending a patch for that particular chapter would be much more useful than
> doing that.

Well, I am willing to contribute to the NetBSD documentation, and I already
submitted some improvements. But correcting errors in the Guide, when there
already are pages that probably predates it, are more accurate, IMHO better
written and generally less problematic seems to me as a complete waste of time.
By giving examples of errors in this chapter, I wanted to suggest that the
chapters duplicating more accurate information could possibly be abandoned, and
possibly start a discussion about the content of the Guide. For example, why
mention the installation process here? There are installation instructions, no?
The installation instructions in the Guide seems to describe NetBSD 1.5 and only
i386.

Bye	Pavel