Subject: Re: RFC: Chapter 9. Compiling the kernel
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.cuni.cz>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 08/03/2004 08:39:17
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:52:54 +0000, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

>> hmm, well, to build with build.sh we need practicaly to have all /usr/src;
>> many of users fetch only usr/src/sys - without other src for the first time.
>
> That's true.  So both ways must be explained, suggesting the use of build.sh
> (because you use a sane toolchain, and it allows crosscompilation).

Yes, please see
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2004/06/29/0002.html and related
discussion for a report from one user who found instructions in the guide
horribly overcomplicated, because the guide instructs to build all tools
(which requires all sources and this is not mentioned in the guide, btw),
which is totally unnecesary.  Don't forget that most of users are running
stable releases and they want to compile the kernel of the same version as
the one which they already have, just to tweak kernel options.

This chapter of the Guide also has at least one error: it mentions the /sys
symlink, which doesn't exist anymore.

A bit offtopic, but why should be all this covered by the Guide, when there
are perfectly fine instructions under www.netbsd.org/Documentation (in this
case, the kernel FAQ)? Those FAQs are very brief, but they give all of the
important informations, which is a great achievement.

They are also much more accurate: the guide tells you to download the
sources with CVS, which is probably the least efficient method, while the
FAQ points you to the syssrc.tgz tarball on the install CD or on FTP.

Of course, all those errors can be corrected. But until this is done, the
guide should not be published IMHO, as it only scares new users. Or it
should be given as a preview, with big warning that it is under construction
and possibly inaccurate.

Bye	Pavel