Subject: Re: RFC: Chapter 9. Compiling the kernel
To: Simas Mockevicius <symka@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 07/29/2004 20:52:54
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:01:58 +0300
Simas Mockevicius <symka@NetBSD.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 04:57:16PM +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:18:10 +0300
> > Simas Mockevicius <symka@NetBSD.org> wrote:
> >
> > > - after ``make depend'' and ``make'', maybe add ``make install''?
> > >   then we don't need section about ``mv /netbsd /netbsd.old''
> > >   because it will do mostly the same netbsd -> onetbsd and with
> > >   the one command.
> >
> > I think we should recommend using build.sh to build kernels (but maybe
> > keep the other way of doing it in a separate section, at least until
> > 1.6.x is EOLed).
>
> hmm, well, to build with build.sh we need practicaly to have all /usr/src;
> many of users fetch only usr/src/sys - without other src for the first time.

That's true.  So both ways must be explained, suggesting the use of build.sh
(because you use a sane toolchain, and it allows crosscompilation).

> Don't know how in other countries, but in .lt and .ru I met a lot of
> people doing that way. Also,  we need to document how to build
> with build.sh customized kernel?

Building a customized kernel with build.sh is trivial.  Just pass the
'kernel=/path/to/your/config' argument and let it do everything for you :)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/