Subject: Re: RFC: Chapter 9. Compiling the kernel
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
From: Simas Mockevicius <>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 07/29/2004 21:01:58

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 04:57:16PM +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:18:10 +0300
> Simas Mockevicius <> wrote:
> > - after ``make depend'' and ``make'', maybe add ``make install''?
> >   then we don't need section about ``mv /netbsd /netbsd.old''
> >   because it will do mostly the same netbsd -> onetbsd and with
> >   the one command.
> I think we should recommend using to build kernels (but maybe
> keep the other way of doing it in a separate section, at least until
> 1.6.x is EOLed).

hmm, well, to build with we need practicaly to have all /usr/src;
many of users fetch only usr/src/sys - without other src for the first time.
Don't know how in other countries, but in .lt and .ru I met a lot of
people doing that way. Also,  we need to document how to build
with customized kernel?

Simas Mockevicius

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (NetBSD)