Subject: Re: Howto submission for setting up CUPS
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Jonathan <j.e.drews@worldnet.att.net>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 04/20/2004 20:25:35
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:07:49 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
> To: netbsd-docs@NetBSD.org
> Cc: j.e.drews@worldnet.att.net
> Subject: Re: Howto submission for setting up CUPS
>
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>
> > 8) Is it really needed to install ghostscript-esp by hand (in order to get
> >    cups working for basic stuff)?  pkgsrc will do it for you, whenever any
> >    package requiring ghostscript is installed.
>
> Then you have a good (default) chance of having wrong ghostscript.
> This has inconvenienced me around five times over past year.
>
> I didn't look at this HowTO, but setting USE_CUPS=YES before building any
> packages should help to make sure that ghostscript-esp (or
> ghostscript-esp-nox11) is used.

Jeremy:

 I suppose this is set in /etc/mk.conf? If so will this setting prevent
the traditional Berkeley print system form being compiled? If the
traditional print system is not built, then there will be no
printer entries in /usr/bin and the CUPS commands in /usr/pkg/bin will be
used.
I looked in /usr/pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.defaults.mk and the only thing I saw
pertaining to CUPS were these two entries. I did not see anything similar to
FreeBSD's make.conf entry:  NO_LPR=true #do not build lpr and related...

CUPS_GROUP?=    sys
# Used in cups to specify the group to run CUPS commands as.
# Possible: any group name
# Default: sys

CUPS_USER?=     lp
# Used in cups to specify the user to run CUPS commands as and to create
# temporary files in the /var/spool/cups/tmp directory.
# Possible: any user name
# Default: lp

Kind regards,
Jonathan