Subject: Re: Howto submission for setting up CUPS
To: Jonathan <email@example.com>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 04/20/2004 16:44:56
1) Using rc.local is not the way to go (deprecated stuff) to enable cups.
cp /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/cupsd /etc/rc.d
and then simply add cupsd=YES in /etc/rc.conf.
2) openslp is installed as a dependency, which installs an slpd startup
script. I assume it's needed as part of the startup process too (enable
just like the point above).
3) IMHO, the screenshots could be better if they were taken from a graphical
4) Section 5) of your document contains an unclosed link...
5) I always have to modify cupsd.conf by hand and add 'Allow From myhostname'
in the <Location /> section of it, to let me log in.
6) In order to configure a printer connected to the parallel port, you *must*
boot up your system with the printer connected and powered on. Failure to
do so means that 'lp' doesn't appear in cups configuration. Could be good
to add this to the document (a bit more explained).
Also, sellecting 'polled' instead of 'interrupt driven' is recommended.
7) Section 12), removing binaries from the base system, looks wrong... these
changes will be lost whenever you update. It's better to suggest the user
and/or administrator to modify his PATH to contain /usr/pkg/bin in from of
it. (Yeah, not an excellent solution either).
8) Is it really needed to install ghostscript-esp by hand (in order to get
cups working for basic stuff)? pkgsrc will do it for you, whenever any
package requiring ghostscript is installed.
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:36:30 -0500 (CDT)
Jonathan <email@example.com> wrote:
> I wrote up this short how-to on configuring CUPS for NetBSD 1.6.2.
> I would be glad to modify and/or add to it so that it might be included in
> the docs for the 2.0 release. I do intend to upgrade to CURRENT shortly. I
> thought I would submit this as I had some difficulty finding info on
> configuring CUPS. This may be of use to others who need to set up
> Please feel free to suggest additional info that I should add or if
> the screenshots need to be changed.
> Kind regards,
Julio M. Merino Vidal <firstname.lastname@example.org>
The NetBSD Project - http://www.NetBSD.org/