Subject: Re: Howto submission for setting up CUPS
To: Jonathan <j.e.drews@worldnet.att.net>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 04/20/2004 16:44:56
Some points:

1) Using rc.local is not the way to go (deprecated stuff) to enable cups.
   You should:

        cp /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/cupsd /etc/rc.d

   and then simply add cupsd=YES in /etc/rc.conf.

2) openslp is installed as a dependency, which installs an slpd startup
   script.  I assume it's needed as part of the startup process too (enable
   just like the point above).

3) IMHO, the screenshots could be better if they were taken from a graphical
   browser.

4) Section 5) of your document contains an unclosed link...

5) I always have to modify cupsd.conf by hand and add 'Allow From myhostname'
   in the <Location /> section of it, to let me log in.

6) In order to configure a printer connected to the parallel port, you *must*
   boot up your system with the printer connected and powered on.  Failure to
   do so means that 'lp' doesn't appear in cups configuration.  Could be good
   to add this to the document (a bit more explained).

   Also, sellecting 'polled' instead of 'interrupt driven' is recommended.

7) Section 12), removing binaries from the base system, looks wrong...  these
   changes will be lost whenever you update.  It's better to suggest the user
   and/or administrator to modify his PATH to contain /usr/pkg/bin in from of
   it.  (Yeah, not an excellent solution either).

8) Is it really needed to install ghostscript-esp by hand (in order to get
   cups working for basic stuff)?  pkgsrc will do it for you, whenever any
   package requiring ghostscript is installed.

Cheers

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>