Subject: Re: htdocs translation statistics
To: None <netbsd-docs@NetBSD.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 02/18/2004 21:38:07
--9zSXsLTf0vkW971A

Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net> wrote:
=20
> > You can also find missing pages and compare the revision numbers of
> > original and translated files for each language.  It tells an
> > up-to-date translation from outdated one using the revision
> > information of the English version included as a comment.
>=20
> I don't think that's good, because it will be forgotten. Rather use
> the date of the translated file and hope jan / the translaters really
> are feeding up-to-date information to the htdocs. You should be
> comparing dates too; the revision numbers will never be in sync anyways.

I don't think that this will work, either:  if there's a typo in the
english version and it gets updated, then both the RCS ID as well as the
timestamp change, yet the translated version may not require any
changes.

Determining which versoin of which document is up to date or not in
comparison to the english original should be most difficult to determine
by a machine.  That's too bad.

Nonetheless, I'm glad to see this status page!

-Jan

--=20
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

--9zSXsLTf0vkW971A

--9zSXsLTf0vkW971A--