Subject: Re: Source code nfs share setup
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org, jdc@coris.org.uk>
From: Erik Berls <cyber@ono-sendai.com>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 01/06/2004 09:15:07
Jan Schaumann writes:
] Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com> wrote:
] > --- Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk> wrote:
] > > > Can someone direct me to documentation on correct
] > > > setup for a NetBSD src share for multiple machines
] > > > building possibly at the same time?
] =20
] > > I think the main thing is to have the source mounted
] > > read-only on all the
] > > machines that you do a build on.  This stops an
] > > accidental write into the
] > > sources from one machine affecting the others.
] > >=20
] > > My setup is:
]
] [snip]

Hmm.. I didn't see the details inside the [snip] but originaly
the autobuild machines had the source tree using a mount_null to
present it read only.  This doubled the amount of cached nodes
that had to be kept around.  (the null layer + the backing).

What autobuild does now is merely: chmod -R a-w src
after the tree is laid down and before any of the build processes
start.  This is sufficient to protect the source tree.

-=erik.