Subject: Re: better HTML
To: None <jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: Hiroki Sato <hrs@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 12/01/2003 04:47:13
----Security_Multipart(Mon_Dec__1_04:47:13_2003_848)--

"James K. Lowden" <jklowden@schemamania.org> wrote
  in <20031130141121.4867f4fe.jklowden@schemamania.org>:

jklowden> I use meta-pkgs/netbsd-doc to convert DocBook -> HTML.  I've noticed that
jklowden> other people get nicer HTML than I do from the same sources.  Does anyone
jklowden> know what we need to upgrade to get their output?

 They are stylesheet issues completely.

jklowden> gifs of a hand pointing a finger, or a yield sign, and so on.  Much
jklowden> prettier to look at than text.

 Define %admon-graphics% in DSSSL stylesheet, $admon.graphics in XSLT
 stylesheet.

jklowden> 2.  In generating names of HTML pages, other converters will use the
jklowden> section's "id" attribute, if present, to form the name.  Ours insists on
jklowden> names like "a2698.htm".

 Define %use-id-as-filename% in DSSSL stylesheet, $use.id.as.filename in
 XSLT stylesheet.

jklowden> I'm pretty sure this is a style-sheet issue, but I've never been able to
jklowden> sort it out.  The documentation I find is mostly about how to find/use
jklowden> style-sheets.  Beneath that is general-purpose DSSSL discussion, which I
jklowden> find almost inpenetrable (and, thus, hard to apply).
jklowden>
jklowden> If anyone knows what needs to be done, I'd be interested in doing it.

 You should read documents of Norman Walsh's DSSSL/XSL stylesheet more
 carefully.  Norm and Bob Stayton's excellent docs are available
 online, for example:

  http://docbook.org/wiki/moin.cgi/DocBookXslStylesheetDocs
  http://docbook.org/wiki/moin.cgi/DocBookDssslStylesheetDocs