Subject: Re: printed guide
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 11/17/2003 13:31:50
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:44:45 -0800
"Aaron J. Grier" <agrier@poofygoof.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 01:11:56PM -0800, Harry Waddell wrote:
> > 2. Shipping books weighing less than four pounds to anyplace in the US
> > is easy. Just stuff them in a priority mail fixed rate envelope and
> > slap 3.95 in postage on it. If they are over 1 pound, one should get a
> > postal meter or use another carrier, unless they like standing in line
> > at the post office. Global priority from the US to just about anywhere
> > is about $10 for one book, plus the annoyance of having to fill out
> > the customs slips.  Obviously, the weight of the finished books is the
> > key here.
>
> if it doesn't need to get there in a hurry, use bound printed matter:
> http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm/E712.htm#Rcz40550
> also available for international shipping.

But then you have to worry about zones, weighing stuff and supplying your
own packaging, etc...

I only recommended priority for domestic because it's really easy to use for
small shippers, even without a scale and postal meter. For global mail,
priority is 3 - 5 days, instead of a couple weeks.

We probably need to figure out the demand and production aspects before we
can really pick a shipping method. But, your absolutely right, we've got a
few other options worth considering.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing