Subject: How to do the Guide for 2.0
To: None <netbsd-docs@NetBSD.org>
From: Jason R. Fink <jrf@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 11/13/2003 15:07:55
Hey all,

This is probably more for the XML-guts folks but I
thought I would bounce it off the whole group.
A little over a week ago I had mentioned that
I wanted to shape up the Guide for 2.0.

One thing I wanted to avoid was branching the Guide, and
I still do. I wanted to solicit opinions about how to
easily exclude certain chapters in the Guide for 2.0
itself.

Now, for those who may be repackaging it for isos, that
task is simple enough, remove the chapters that either
do not apply or are out of date in netbsd.xml and the
Makefile - easy enough.

Basically I could only come up with two ways:

	1. Create a 2.0 "snapshot" of the Guide that
	   excludes chapters that we are either ditching
	   or we cannot get up to speed by 2.0 release date.

	2. Create a 2.0 branch that does not have outdated
	   or dead content.

Of course, there is a 3rd option, do nothing, just keep doing
what we are doing and let the Guide be a "living" document forever.

It is likely there are other options I haven't thought
of so feel free to send back by way of the list.

thanks!