Subject: Re: The NetBSD Guide
To: None <k.heinz.mai.drei@onlinehome.de>
From: Hiroki Sato <hrs@eos.ocn.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 05/15/2003 12:56:46
Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.mai.drei@onlinehome.de> wrote
  in <20030514210049.GA810@silence.homedns.org>:

k.h> Could you explain what the problems with XSLT regarding non-Latin
k.h> languages are?

 More strictly, the problems are caused by XSLT toolchains
 do not support the languages.  XSLT itself is OK.

 The problems I know in detail are Japanese specific ones only,
 and it is difficult to explain---well, for example, some characters
 used in Japanese docs are not processed properly.  I experienced that
 I cannot browse typeset'd HTML docs with the default configuration
 of Norm's XSLT stylesheet, using some Japanese-aware WWW browsers.
 Some of the problems can be solved using a customized XSLT stylesheet (this
 is because I said it is needed a customization layer for the Guide).
 Another problem is that there are few tools that can process XML docs in
 Asian-languages into printable format.  I tried XML->FO->PDF conversion
 using several free software, but it was very difficult because the tools
 did not support properly the language encodings and fonts.  Perhaps
 you know, unicode cannot solve this sort of problem because supporting
 the encoding and supporting the language are different.

 I agree that xsltproc is one of the tools that can be used for HTML
 output with the non-Latin characters, but for both of HTML and
 other printable formats from docs in DocBook DTD, Jade+DSSSL has
 a good track record for both of English and non-English
 languages, I think.