Subject: Re: Who is the maintainer of Chinese Documentation?
To: None <k.heinz.mai.drei@onlinehome.de>
From: Hiroki Sato <hrs@eos.ocn.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 05/12/2003 02:06:55
Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.mai.drei@onlinehome.de> wrote
  in <20030511164351.GA4774@silence.homedns.org>:

k.h> As far as I can see, the chapter about translation in the original guide
k.h> assumes western languages and characters. I am not sure how to use
k.h> Chinese characters with SGML although I suppose you will need to use
k.h> UTF-8 encoding in your documents; Big5 or GB2312 may not be supported by
k.h> the SGML tools mentioned in the guide.
k.h> A quick search in pkgsrc shows that vim, cooledit, yudit and wily seem
k.h> to support UTF-8 encoded texts but I cannot say how usable they are.
k.h> Emacs can probably use UTF-8 as well :-).

 No.  DocBook/SGML+Jade+Norm Walsh's DSSSL Stylesheets supports
 encodings of Asian Languages (including Big5) natively (FreeBSD
 Doc Team uses them with no problem for a long time).  I am working
 on Japanese translation of the guide now and trying to add
 a customized DSSSL stylesheets framework to make the localization
 easier.  The current implementation of my*.dsl and {sgml,guide}.mk
 is too straightforward to do so.