Subject: Netboot Guide
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 02/18/2003 00:33:02
This is a mimegpg-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

--=_mimegpg-www-31307-1045528387-0001

Hello List,

I've been a subscriber over at port-dreamcast since this summer, when I
finally got around to getting that machine running. There's actually some
decent activity going on over there, including something that's now spilling
over to this list.

As you probably realize, the Dreamcast can only be run via NFS, and thus has
to be netbooted. Most of the folks on port-dreamcast were newbies to the
concept when we started out, and in reading the official NetBSD
documentation on the subject (particularly
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/), we found it to be
rather confusing/incomplete, particularly for someone with limited
experience with the subject.

To that end, we decided we'd like to offer to re-write some, if not all, of
that documentation. Obviously, the first thing to be done is that we need a
Dreamcast-specific page in section 1; I doubt anyone here would dispute that
need. Beyond that, we've got some other ideas which we don't completely
agree upon, which we'd like your opinion on.

Ideas which have been proposed include (in no specific order):

* A conceptual walkthrough of what's supposed to happen during the netboot
process, something that should be machine-generic
* A discussion of the protocols involved in netbooting
* A discussion of the daemons/software tools that are typically seen/used
during a netboot
* How to troubleshoot a netboot
* How to ask informed questions (aka How not to get flamed when asking for
help)
* Possible improvements to "man diskless" (which seemed particularly
impenetrable to newbies)
* Generic bootstrap basics (as many people just don't understand the
sequence of how a computer boots, let alone how it happens across a network)
* Having http://www.mclink.it/personal/MG2508/nbsdeng/netbsd.html (the short
guide you get pointed to from www.netbsd.org/Documentation) point to the
netboot HOWTO (since it talks about booting, but not netbooting)

This could all either be added into the existing documentation, or a whole
new document could be created that reorganizes things, while obviously
keeping what's valuable that's already there intact.

The point of all this really would be to help newbies make sense of
netbooting, which can be a rather complex concept/process, while not making
things so verbose/condescending that the advanced user couldn't come through
and quickly pluck out what they need, i.e. configuration specifics for a
particular machine.

We'd all love to hear your thoughts on the matter, and any volunteers who
might want to help write and/or edit would definitely be accommodated. I'm
telling everyone on port-dreamcast who's interested in this to subscribe
here, so please just keep replies on this list for the time being.

Alex Kirk