Subject: Re: default copyright for docs?
To: Jan Schaumann <>
From: Perry E. Metzger <>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 05/29/2002 16:47:36
Jan Schaumann <> writes:
> True[1].  But my assumption is that given that the document is
> uncopyrighted in our source tree, it must be public domain (or similar)
> as otherwise we surely would have included the copyright, the author or
> the terms of the license.

Actually, that's not true. The public domain files in our tree are
explicitly marked as such.

See, for example, /usr/src/lib/libc/arch/i386/string/bcmp.S

> > If there is a file in the distribution that doesn't have a proper
> > copyright, you should get someone to find out where it came from and
> > have a proper copyright added.
> this is probably TRTTD.  May not be possible, though.

cvs log and cvs annotate will likely settle the question for you
nearly instantly of who to contact.

Perry E. Metzger
NetBSD: The right OS for your embedded design.