Subject: Re: translation on russian
To: zhuravlev alexander <zaa@ulstu.ru>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 05/12/2002 18:06:34
zhuravlev alexander <zaa@ulstu.ru> wrote:
> 	Hi !
>
> I want to take part in translating of NetBSD documentation
> on russian language. What should I do first ?

Hello there!

Glad to hear that you're interested in translating documentation to
russion - I'm sure this will be very helpful for the people in your
country (and of course for NetBSD in general)!

To answer your question, I would probably say "it depends".  It depends
on how much time you have, how much effort you want to put into the
project and how well you know a certain area.

In general, I believe that the most helpful document would be the
"Guide" (Frederico Lupi's "The NetBSD operating system - a short
guide"), but it is *very* extensive and certainly not an easy task to
approach.

You may find that just by going to http://www.NetBSD.org/Documentation/
and picking a document that covers an area that you are familiar with
you could get started on the process of translating and lateron you may
wish to approach larger documents.

Or, if you are interested in translating the NetBSD website, you can
find documentation and helpful information at
http://www.netbsd.org/developers/translate.html.

Whichever way you wish to proceede, you most likely want to familiarize
yourself with cvs (if you don't already know it), as our documentation
is maintained through CVS just like the code.  When you choose a
document to translate, you also may want to contact the original author
(if any) to see if maybe somebody has already started a translation, and
you can combine your efforts.

Whatever you choose, rest assured that all your efforts are well
appreciated and that you can always ask for help on this mailing-list
and/or contact me directly.

-Jan

--
http://www.netbsd.org -