Subject: Re: Current Projects?
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 03/26/2002 22:52:00
"Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> > I don't think so - I think it's just been forgotten.  The German page
> > has the proper charset-tag, so does the polish page.
> >
> > We probably want to add the right tag to the normal pages...
> >

> Do you want me to send-pr(1) or do you have authority to do it?

I could do it, but first we all should agree on what the proper encoding
ought to be.  Should it be iso-8559-1 or utf-8?  Or something different?

I'd assume iso-8859-1, no?

> Also, there were some other things I've noticed where XML would make an
> excellent application.
>
> Basically any page with lots of repetative, standardized data could be
> XML'ized, simplifying managing the data because less actual time has to be
> spent on formatting.
>
> *) Obviously all the documentation
> *) Consultants (http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/consultants.html)

Currently generated from consultants.list through our fine list2html
perl-magic.

> *) Developer Index (http://www.netbsd.org/People/supporting-cast.html)

Currently generated from supporting-cast.data through a C-program.  I
believe there was talk about using another approach some time back, but
why fix what ain't broken?

> *) Mirrors (http://www.netbsd.org/mirrors/)

Currently generated from localsrc/admin/mirrors/mirrors.db by a
Perl-script.

While some of the tasks may (or may not - not an XML expert here) be
represented more efficiently by XML, these examples currently work just
fine and without too much effort.  Plus, the input files are plain
ascii, so they don't suffer the XML-bloat...

But certainly worth debating.

-Jan

--
finger jschauma@netmeister.org