Subject: Re: Current Projects?
To: Klaus Heinz <klaus.heinz@onlinehome.de>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 03/21/2002 01:20:47
> > I was hoping someone might be tossing around the idea of converting
> > everything from pure HTML/Mk files > SGML/DocBook or even better,

Hmmm, s/everything/Documentation/ is what I was getting at.  In fact, the
idea that you would consider that I was insinuating coverting the _entire_
site is overwhelming.

> > XML/DocBook.  As cheesy as that sounds, there's some exciting stuff going
>
> My reason for investigating this falls into the 'cosmetic formatting'

Stylesheets are god send.

> The disadvantage would be for content contributors to have to learn
>
> If you know your way around XML and/or DocBook (more than I can say
> about me, at this time :-), you're certainly welcome to help.

I spend several hours in a B&N reading the oreilly on it, but that was
dated, and I ended up purchasing "Publishing DocBook" by Joe 'Zonker'
Brockmeier (ISBN: 0-7615-3331-1 diributed by Prima Tech -- ignore the
peguin on the front)

My experience is limited but my enthusiasm endless.  Suddenly everything
makes sence in terms of document publishing.  XML and/or SGML content is a
step in the right direction.

It's the definative solution for technical writing, and, as you pointed
out, ideal in other selective applications (dynamic content, "Recent News"
on the front page comes to mind).  At least for /Documentation

> I have not looked very closely at DocBook, yet. It seems to be a rather
> complete solution for documentation needs. For the purpose of using
> it for the web site, we would have to choose an appropriate subset.
>
> The requirements for the stylesheets would be (at least) the ability
> to reproduce the web site as it is now. I don't know what would be
> simpler, adapting/overloading the available stylesheets for DocBook
> XML or rolling our own, but I hope for the former.

I havn't goten that far yet.  As I understand it, XSL and CSS are entire
SGML implentations for stylesheet design and translation.  Whole books
alone are available on them. *headache sets in*.  For such a project, a
series of NetBSD sylesheets would definately be in order.

I'm thinking over summer break (May 6th -> July 22nd) I'll have a reduced
workload and will be looking to tackle a side project (along with
assembly, SQL, and maybe finish my CCNA >:})

> ciao
>      Klaus

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against