Subject: Re: /htdocs/fr/
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 01/25/2002 09:10:12
Bang Jun-Young <> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 11:34:35PM -0500, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> > [1] IMHO it's better to link to the english page than allow a 404
> I don't really want to mislead people to `404', but that's inevitable
> at the moment, since the number of translated pages into Korean is
> slowly growing.

I understand - I have the same problem with the German translation.
What we do is the following:  when we translate a new file, we copy it
over from the english original and adjust the links to go to the english
page (usually this means simply adding "../" to the href).  Then we
translate the page, and when we encounter a link to a page that we
already translated, we let it go there.

This way, the user should never get a 404, even if sometimes she's sent
to the english page.

There's a few hints I wrote up for the German translation which should
be applicable to other languages; if you're interested, check out