Subject: Re: where is cvs repository for webpages
To: None <www@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 11/17/2000 15:26:29
On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, David Maxwell wrote:

> The htdocs CVS module is not available via cvsweb or anoncvs. I think
> that's mostly so that if a faux-pas is made on the web pages, then fixed,
> it doesn't stay on a 'permanent record'.

Personally, I don't see a problem with having a permanent record. I often
see source code that has notes that say "reverting to old because of
problem."

> I don't think any other projects make their web page revision history
> available either, do they?

I am not sure.

But this is not what I care about. I just wanted to be able to see the
structure of the website and all of the files (webpages, htsearch configs,
send_sub_request.pl, etc.).

> The .list files are just in the dir with the .html they generate. You
> can grab them from the web server.

Well, I can grab http://www.netbsd.org/Makefile,
http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/features.list and
http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/Makefile.

But, I can't fetch http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/about.list or
http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/y2k.list, or http://www.netbsd.org/index.list.

As you can see, using a web browser to browse a directory using http
doesn't work to good. I can't really see where things are and it is hard
to guess where I should look.

But know I can guess: if there isn't a corresponding .list file then the
webpage isn't generated with the list2html.pl script. So I should just use
the original html to make the diff.

Does that mean that some work of creating missing .list files from .html
files still needs to be worked on? Or are there reasons not to use
list2html for some of the webpages?

For new webpages is it always desired (or required) to provide in .list
format? (Or is .html okay?)

Thanks for your information. I'll now start working on my diffs to submit.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/