Subject: re: Installing NetBSD/sparc64 from Solaris
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@BurghCom.Com>
From: Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 11/06/2000 17:17:25
On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
% I would be #11 if I could find my 2.7 CD (or get an ISO from work) or if
% someone would tell me boot-strapping and X/11 work =p
%
% On a side note, I recently tried RootHat 6.2 on my U5.  It interprets the
% IDE disk geometry completely wrong (even in advanced mode, and yes I tried
% different disks) and newfs fails.  How do they sell this stuff? Until
% then, my u5 sits idle.

  I installed Red Hat 6.2 on my Ultra 5 and ran it for quite some
time.  I didn't have any trouble with newfs but the lameness of Linux
eventually overwhelmed me and I decided to install NetBSD no matter
how painful it was. ;)

  I've got a spare Solaris 2.8 media kit (the non-commercial one that
someone gave me at LinuxWorld) if you can't find one and you are
serious about installing and helping test NetBSD/sparc64.  It even
comes with emacs, tcsh, and lots of GNU software on a add-on disc.

	- Murray