NetBSD-Desktop archive

Re: VGA console doesn't deactivate at poweroff

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi%gmail.com@localhost>
wrote:
> Hi NetBSD folks,
>    I just recently installed 5.1-amd64 as a reference system on my
> amd64 machine, and support seems really good, but one thing I noted
> was that the VGA console port doesn't deactivate (i.e. power off) when
> the rest of the machine powers off running shutdown -p now on the
> system. I was wondering if this was by design and if there's some bit
> I need to twiddle to get the VGA console to power off or if this is a
> bug of some kind. FreeBSD powers off the VGA port when shutting down
> though.
>    I'm really new to NetBSD (been a FreeBSD user for years though),
> so I haven't gotten that far really with customizing the system, so
> one can assume it's still relatively vanilla.
>    Please let me know what info you guys need to figure out what
> state my system is in.

    Some more helpful info:
1. Just because the power LED is off on one's chassis doesn't mean
that power isn't flowing to the rest of the machine :/ (the CPU fan,
etc was still running at standard speeds).
2. ACPI was on and the NetBSD kernel said it had entered S5 on /dev/console.
Thanks,
-Garrett