NetBSD-Desktop archive

Re: Simple editor (ee?)

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009, David Brownlee wrote:
>       NetBSD should provide a simple text editor - its ridiculous
>       to expect a new user to start with vi (note: vi is my editor
>       of choice, but I defy anyone to argue that it is suitable
>       for a new user who just wants to edit rc.conf)

I would support adding a simple text editor to base.  I think that
easyedit is a good choice.  Whatever small problems it has (such as
using the "wrong" curses library) can be fixed.

I would also support setting EDITOR=easyedit in appropriate places at
install time, under control of an extra question in advanced mode, or by
default in novice mode.

--apb (Alan Barrett)