NetBSD-Bugs archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

Re: install/60808 (Keyboard way too fast post install)



The following reply was made to PR install/60808; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Terry Schima <tangogolfsierra%gmail.com@localhost>
To: gnats-bugs%netbsd.org@localhost
Cc: 
Subject: Re: install/60808 (Keyboard way too fast post install)
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2026 16:29:01 -0700

 --000000000000bd530d065cf80553
 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
 
 I am still waiting for a reply. Did I miss sending you something you needed?
 Thanks,
 Terry
 
 The following reply was made to PR install/60808; it has been noted by
 GNATS.
 
 From: Terry Schima <tangogolfsierra%gmail.com@localhost>
 To: gnats-bugs%netbsd.org@localhost
 Cc:
 Subject: Re: install/60808 (Keyboard way too fast post install)
 Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2026 17:15:04 -0700
 
  --000000000000959f88065c6bd914
  Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
 boundary="000000000000959f84065c6bd912"
 
  --000000000000959f84065c6bd912
  Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
  Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
 
  Sorry, I'm older, don't see as well. I still think lapid is funny. Anyway,
  did as you said, and would you believe the keyboard was normal when
  dropping to boot prompt. I had no problem typing. BTW, this machine is 32GB
  of ram (hardware). The VB guest is only 8GB at the moment.
  Here are the files. Thanks so much.
  Terry
 
  On Sat, Sep 26, 2026 at 4:55=E2=80=AFPM Taylor R Campbell via gnats <
  gnats-admin%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
 
  > The following reply was made to PR install/60808; it has been noted by
  > GNATS.
  >
  > From: Taylor R Campbell <riastradh%NetBSD.org@localhost>
  > To: Terry Schima <tangogolfsierra%gmail.com@localhost>
  > Cc: gnats-bugs%NetBSD.org@localhost, netbsd-bugs%NetBSD.org@localhost
  > Subject: Re: install/60808 (Keyboard way too fast post install)
  > Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2026 23:53:59 +0000
  >
  >  > Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2026 15:34:19 -0700
  >  > From: Terry Schima <tangogolfsierra%gmail.com@localhost>
  >  >
  >  > The other one shows the fact that the crash command did nothing. Do
  >  > I need to run update, etc. to make it work?
  >
  >  The names are lapic_*, not lapid_*:
  >
  >  lapic_per_second
  >  lapic_tval
  >  lapic_hz
  >
  >  (It's the Local Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller, not a
  >  species of butterfly!)
  >
  >  > dmesg would not output anything with either of those switches. It
  >  > balked that there is no '-v'.
  >
  >  `-x' and `-v' are not options to dmesg -- they're options to boot.
  >
  >  When you start the machine up, you should see a message from the
  >  bootloader and a countdown timer, menu, and/or bootloader prompt.
  >  Stop the timer, drop to the boot prompt, and type:
  >
  >  boot netbsd -vx
  >
  >  It looks like the dmesg you quoted is from VirtualBox (which is fine,
  >  and the dmesg output when booted with -vx as well as the crash output
  >  will be helpful because I don't have those from vbox), but can you
  >  also elaborate on the bare metal you said this happened on as well?
  >  And share the crash and dmesg output from that too?
  >
 
 --000000000000bd530d065cf80553
 Content-Type: text/html; charset="UTF-8"
 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
 
 <div dir=3D"ltr"><div>I am still waiting for a reply. Did I miss sending yo=
 u something you needed?</div><div>Thanks,</div><div>Terry</div><div><br></d=
 iv>The following reply was made to PR install/60808; it has been noted by G=
 NATS.<br><br>From: Terry Schima &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tangogolfsierra@gmail=
 .com" target=3D"_blank">tangogolfsierra%gmail.com@localhost</a>&gt;<br>To: <a href=3D=
 "mailto:gnats-bugs%netbsd.org@localhost"; target=3D"_blank">gnats-bugs%netbsd.org@localhost</a><=
 br>Cc:<br>Subject: Re: install/60808 (Keyboard way too fast post install)<b=
 r>Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2026 17:15:04 -0700<br><br>=C2=A0--000000000000959f8806=
 5c6bd914<br>=C2=A0Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=3D&quot;000=
 000000000959f84065c6bd912&quot;<br><br>=C2=A0--000000000000959f84065c6bd912=
 <br>=C2=A0Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D&quot;UTF-8&quot;<br>=C2=A0Co=
 ntent-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable<br><br>=C2=A0Sorry, I&#39;m older=
 , don&#39;t see as well. I still think lapid is funny. Anyway,<br>=C2=A0did=
  as you said, and would you believe the keyboard was normal when<br>=C2=A0d=
 ropping to boot prompt. I had no problem typing. BTW, this machine is 32GB<=
 br>=C2=A0of ram (hardware). The VB guest is only 8GB at the moment.<br>=C2=
 =A0Here are the files. Thanks so much.<br>=C2=A0Terry<br><br>=C2=A0On Sat, =
 Sep 26, 2026 at 4:55=3DE2=3D80=3DAFPM Taylor R Campbell via gnats &lt;<br>=
 =C2=A0<a href=3D"mailto:gnats-admin%netbsd.org@localhost"; target=3D"_blank">gnats-adm=
 in%netbsd.org@localhost</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br>=C2=A0&gt; The following reply was made=
  to PR install/60808; it has been noted by<br>=C2=A0&gt; GNATS.<br>=C2=A0&g=
 t;<br>=C2=A0&gt; From: Taylor R Campbell &lt;riastradh%NetBSD.org@localhost&gt;<br>=
 =C2=A0&gt; To: Terry Schima &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tangogolfsierra%gmail.com@localhost=
 " target=3D"_blank">tangogolfsierra%gmail.com@localhost</a>&gt;<br>=C2=A0&gt; Cc: gna=
 ts-bugs%NetBSD.org@localhost, netbsd-bugs%NetBSD.org@localhost<br>=C2=A0&gt; Subject: Re: insta=
 ll/60808 (Keyboard way too fast post install)<br>=C2=A0&gt; Date: Sat, 26 S=
 ep 2026 23:53:59 +0000<br>=C2=A0&gt;<br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 &gt; Date: Sat, 26=
  Sep 2026 15:34:19 -0700<br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 &gt; From: Terry Schima &lt;<a=
  href=3D"mailto:tangogolfsierra%gmail.com@localhost"; target=3D"_blank">tangogolfsierr=
 a%gmail.com@localhost</a>&gt;<br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 &gt;<br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 &gt; The o=
 ther one shows the fact that the crash command did nothing. Do<br>=C2=A0&gt=
 ;=C2=A0 &gt; I need to run update, etc. to make it work?<br>=C2=A0&gt;<br>=
 =C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 The names are lapic_*, not lapid_*:<br>=C2=A0&gt;<br>=C2=
 =A0&gt;=C2=A0 lapic_per_second<br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 lapic_tval<br>=C2=A0&gt;=
 =C2=A0 lapic_hz<br>=C2=A0&gt;<br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 (It&#39;s the Local Advan=
 ced Programmable Interrupt Controller, not a<br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 species of=
  butterfly!)<br>=C2=A0&gt;<br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 &gt; dmesg would not output =
 anything with either of those switches. It<br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 &gt; balked =
 that there is no &#39;-v&#39;.<br>=C2=A0&gt;<br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 `-x&#39; a=
 nd `-v&#39; are not options to dmesg -- they&#39;re options to boot.<br>=C2=
 =A0&gt;<br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 When you start the machine up, you should see a=
  message from the<br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 bootloader and a countdown timer, men=
 u, and/or bootloader prompt.<br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 Stop the timer, drop to th=
 e boot prompt, and type:<br>=C2=A0&gt;<br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 boot netbsd -vx<=
 br>=C2=A0&gt;<br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 It looks like the dmesg you quoted is fro=
 m VirtualBox (which is fine,<br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 and the dmesg output when =
 booted with -vx as well as the crash output<br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 will be hel=
 pful because I don&#39;t have those from vbox), but can you<br>=C2=A0&gt;=
 =C2=A0 also elaborate on the bare metal you said this happened on as well?<=
 br>=C2=A0&gt;=C2=A0 And share the crash and dmesg output from that too?<br>=
 =C2=A0&gt;</div>
 
 --000000000000bd530d065cf80553--
 



Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index