NetBSD-Bugs archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

Re: kern/60810: /usr/src/sys/conf/osrelease.h -s behavior does not match description



The following reply was made to PR kern/60810; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost>
To: gnats-bugs%netbsd.org@localhost, kern-bug-people%netbsd.org@localhost, netbsd-bugs%netbsd.org@localhost
Cc: 
Subject: Re: kern/60810: /usr/src/sys/conf/osrelease.h -s behavior does not match description
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2026 01:10:12 +0700

     Date:        Tue, 29 Sep 2026 01:29:56 -0400
     From:        Rob Whitlock <rwhitlock22%gmail.com@localhost>
     Message-ID:  <AB6D15AA-921B-4E1B-9F62-5B54693C95B0%gmail.com@localhost>
 
   | but if there were a script that already
   | did that parsing for you, then why wouldn't you use it?
 
 But it doesn't, you only believe it does as you've apparently
 only tested in on HEAD.   On the -10 branch currently, osrelease.sh -s
 produces 102_STABLE  on the -11 branch it gives 110_STABLE (that one I haven't
 cvs up'd recently, it might have been updated beyond that since I last did).
 
 On a 10.2 release version it says 102  (I don't have 11.0 release kernel
 sources handy to check it).   On the final -9 branch release it produces 95
 
   | (This is, of course, assuming that this person wouldn't be aware of
   | corner case differences between the two formats)
 
 It is more than corner case differences.   The script has a purpose to
 exist, and making version numbers for pkgsrc is not it.
 
 You'd be better starting with uname -r from the system you want to
 build for (the same as pkgsrc does for the native os version) and
 convert that (which is trivial) to the correct format.
 
   | Very well, I can drop the request to change it. However I still
   | think it would be a good idea to more precisely document the
   | given format in the comments,
 
 I can do that I suppose, including a comment telling people who want
 to use it for purposes other than that for which it is designed, to
 go away and leave that script in peace.
 
 kre
 



Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index