Subject: port-macppc/34498: Netbsd 3.1RC2/macppc is powered off during boot of the installation kernel on powerbook5,8
To: None <firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,>
From: None <Hilmar.Boehm@hiro-consult.de>
Date: 09/08/2006 22:35:00
>Synopsis: Netbsd 3.1RC2/macppc is powered off during boot of the installation kernel on powerbook5,8
>Arrival-Date: Fri Sep 08 22:35:00 +0000 2006
>Originator: Hilmar Böhm
-'uname -a is not possible-
Apple PowerBokk5,8: - post-October-2005 System, bought Nov. 2005, 15", 1,67GHz PowerPC processor, 2GB Memory, CD/DVD Superdrive, 120GB internal HD.
Used: NetBSD 3.1RC2 release candidate iso image (ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-3-1-RC2/200609031430Z/iso/ )
Apple Open Firmware :
Apple PowerBoot 5,8 4.9.6f0 BootROM built on 10/05/05 at 16:45:50
Copyright 1994-2005 Apple Computer, Inc.
Welcome to Open Firmwarem the system time and date is: 09/08/2006 22:23:47
Symptom: During boot of the installation kernel the system is (completely) powered off.
What I tried:
1. Boot from CD-ROM (see above)by means of (from OFW3 cmmand line):
> boot cd:, ofwboot.xcf --> The system is switched off after a few lines of kernel output. Lines go by very fast, so no detail can be seen.
2. - Copied from Inst-CD: "ofwboot.xcf", "netbsd-GENERIC-MD.gz", "netbsd-GENERIC_MD.symbols.gz" over to root dir. of MAC OS X Boot partition (first HPFS partition on disk) and
- renamed netbsd-GENERIC_MD.gz to netbsd-gz and
- issued the OFW3 command: > boot hd:,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.gz
3. The screen resolution changes from standard PB-resolution to a lower resolution (bigger characters) with white screen background and kernel output starts. The Output on screen is to fast to recognize output in detail. I tried to take a picture from the screen with my mobile phone camera.
The last lines are:
uhub1 at usb1
uhub1: NEC OHCI ...
ehci0: 2 ports ...
ehci0 at pci1 dev...
ehci0: BIOS has...
ehci0: EHCI version...
uhub at ehci0...
(the system is switched off here (power off))
I can reproduce this behaviour with NetBSD 2.1, 3.0 and 3.0.1 also, ecactly same behaviour.
The only reference to this problem I saw on the port-macppc Mailing List was: 29.01.2001 - Richard M Kreuter - "Re: Powerbook 15 XFree". No solution!
See Description above and use the above mentioned Hardware!