Subject: port-amiga/21252: Kernel panics after changing floppy when using 'dd'
To: None <email@example.com>
From: None <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 04/21/2003 18:55:04
>Synopsis: Kernel panics after changing floppy when using 'dd'
>Arrival-Date: Mon Apr 21 18:56:00 UTC 2003
>Originator: Håkan Thörngren
NetBSD kraki 1.6 NetBSD 1.6 (KRAKI) #1: Tue Mar 25 10:59:43 CET 2003 acumen@kraki:/usr/src/sys/arch/amiga/compile/KRAKI amiga
I want to copy some old Amiga floppies using dd but run into kernel panics when I change the floppy, it is consistent and happens all the time.
I am also pretty certain that the same problem occurs when there is a read error during copy.
This worked like 5+ years ago on a different NetBSD version (have no idea which). It handled floppy changes and read errors with no ill effects.
I have recompiled the kernel to get a smaller one.
I am using an A3000 (plain 25MHz), problem occurs both for internal HD drive (with DD floppies) and external DD drive (/dev/fd1a).
1. become root (my local user is not allowed to access /dev/fd0a)
2. Put a floppy into the drive.
3. dd if=/dev/fd0a of=file (this can be repeated with no ill effects, I did so to make sure it read the floppy OK using diff on the files)
4. When copy done, change to another floppy disk in the drive.
5. dd if=/dev/fd0a of=another_file
panic: biodone already
Stopped in pid 199 (dd) at cpu_Debugger+0x6: unlk a6