Subject: misc/17148: dhcp error with multiple dns servers
To: None <>
From: None <>
List: netbsd-bugs
Date: 06/02/2002 16:08:17
>Number:         17148
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       dhcp error with multiple dns servers
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Priority:       high
>Responsible:    misc-bug-people
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Sun Jun 02 16:09:00 PDT 2002
>Originator:     Alexander
>Release:        1.5.2
NetBSD cpserver 1.5.2 NetBSD 1.5.2 (GENERIC) #3: Sat Aug 18 23:37:05 CEST 2001 he$;/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC i386
I'm not experienced with UNIX and andvanced networking, so i might have got a few things worng, but I've spent a lot of hours trying to get it to work, but I think now that I will not be able to solve it myself.

Well, the problem began when 'i tried to do a 'nslookup' after finally having the machine getting an ip from my DHCP. The DHCP server and DNS server is a lame wingate thing, and when you make an nslookup it doesn't give out a name, so the nslookup progg thinks there is something wrong with the DNS server. It works anyway on windows machines, but NetBSD refuse to try when it does not get a name from the DNS server.

There is a way around it that works, I can enter "nslookup host-to-find dnsserver" if dnsserver is the "real" dns server provided by my ISP. But I wasn't happy with this solution so I configured my dhcp to give out three dns servers, the first its own ip, then the two from my ISP.

I should not have done that. First, when my dhcp gave out three ip:s, I got a lot of error messages: "dhclient: parse_option_buffer(#): option domain-name-servers larger than buffer" where '#' was a different number every time I think. To me that says the buffer in NetBSD can only hold one dns server. Damn.
So I removed serverlist from my dhcp. But I still get the same error message! Exept now '#' is always 65536. So now I can not get an ip anymore. I tried to enter 'supersede dns-name-servers a_real_dns_server' to dhclient.conf but it does not help, same error message.
Well, every time I reboot it does a dhcp request and thats when things go wrong (I can still login).
It's not a fix, but rather a way around it: if out configure you dhclient.conf to ignore the answer about dns servers from the dhcp server and enter one manually, it should work. I have not found the syntax yet, I'm pretty new to all this and it is not a good solution, but anyway...