Subject: port-sparc/5740: fd/fdc do not like being accessed with no floppy
To: None <email@example.com>
From: None <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 07/11/1998 05:44:42
>Synopsis: fd/fdc do not like being accessed with no floppy
>Responsible: gnats-admin (GNATS administrator)
>Arrival-Date: Fri Jul 10 23:20:01 1998
>Originator: matthew green
people's front against (bozotic) www (softwar foundation)
>Release: <NetBSD-current source date>june 28, 1998.
System: NetBSD splode.eterna.com.au 1.3F NetBSD 1.3F (_splode_) #380: Mon Jun 29 00:08:52 EST 1998 email@example.com:/orb/v/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/_splode_ sparc
when attempting to access the floppy drive when no floppy is present is
not a happy thing to do. it leaves an unkillable process until the moment
you insert a floppy.
i did this, with no floppy present:
- reboot IPX
- run "mount -t msdos /dev/fd0a /floppy" as root
- watch it hang
- continue to watch it hang
- hit ^C
- watch it continue to hang
- run dmesg and notice that it is slowly filling with:
fd0: timeout: state 7
fdc: spurious interrupt: state 8, istate=3
- try to kill -9 `mount_msdos' but fail.
- insert floppy in drive and watch mount_msdos complete.
- have everything else continue as normal