Subject: port-pmax/2573: CPU resource utilisation not accurate
To: None <gnats-bugs@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon Burge <>
List: netbsd-bugs
Date: 06/27/1996 10:34:00
>Number:         2573
>Category:       port-pmax
>Synopsis:       CPU resource utilisation not accurate
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Priority:       low
>Responsible:    gnats-admin (GNATS administrator)
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Jun 26 21:35:02 1996
>Originator:     Simon Burge
	Telstra Corp, Australia.
>Release:        NetBSD-current (June 25)
System: NetBSD mona 1.2_ALPHA NetBSD 1.2_ALPHA (MONA) #32: Wed Jun 26 09:22:39 EST 1996 simonb@mona:/usr/src/sys/arch/pmax/compile/MONA pmax

	Recently (I think since going to 1.2 alpha), I've been
	getting really weird CPU resource utilisation figures from
	my shell's (tcsh) "time" command.  I've also noticed the
	same thing with /usr/bin/time, so it doesn't seem to be
	some misinterpretation on tcsh's behalf.

	I've getting output like the following:

	382.351u 3962.609s 0:50.00 8689.9% 0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
	2306.537u 14909.980s 0:46.90 36708.9% 0+0k 0+2io 0pf+0w
	2640.456u 27579.969s 51:09.11 -414.-7% 0+0k 49+851io 284pf+0w

	The problem doesn't occur all of the time - at a guess I'd
	say about 50% of the time...

	I've only noticed this problem on the pmax port - at least
	I haven't seen it on i386, which is the only port I have
	access to.
	Type "time <command>" for commands that use a reasonable
	amount of cpu time ("make" and "make clean" down in /usr/src
	somewhere are good choices.