Subject: NetBSD 4.0 Release Candidate 4 available for download
To: None <netbsd-announce@NetBSD.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@NetBSD.org>
Date: 11/09/2007 17:31:43
on behalf of the NetBSD Release Engineering team, I am happy to
announce the availability of NetBSD 4.0 Release Candidate 4.
Binaries and ISOs are available from
The list of changes from the 3.0 release is available in the release
notes, online at
This release candidate has several bug fixes and other changes since the
previous release candidate - RC3.
Most important bug fixes are:
- a transition mechanism from sendmail to postfix was implemented. If you
use sysinst for upgrade, it will ask if the mailer configuration should
be switched to postfix.
- a security issue in OpenSSL (CVE-2007-4995) was fixed.
- an earlier pullup to ipf has been reverted, because it prevented RDR
sessions from expiring, see PR kern/37037 and kern/37174.
- a bug in MTRR handling causing a reboot on amd64 when starting the X
server has been fixed - PR port-amd64/37043.
- a security issue in FAST_IPSEC has been fixed.
- bio(4) has been updated to handle RAID volumes larger than 4GB -
- fix a heap corruption in rpc.lockd, PR bin/37236.
Some of the other changes and updates are:
- add IC Plus Corp IP100A support to ste(4).
- add support for ICH8M and ICH9's SATA controller to piixide(4).
- add support for Marvell 88CO55 (found on newer iMacs) to msk(4).
- update tzdata to version 2007h.
- many updates to the release notes and other documentation.
The complete description is found in the CHANGES-4.0 file in the release
tree, online at ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-4.0_RC4/CHANGES-4.0
(Scroll down to the end of the file and see the entries between
the RC3 and RC4 ones.)
The bio(4) change causes a compatibility break on 32-bit platforms. If you
are using bio(4), you need a new bioctl utility for the RC4 kernel. If you
have updated only the kernel, either rebuild bioctl after updating the
headers in /usr/include, or use a new binary from the release build. This
does not affect upgrading from previous releases of NetBSD, as no former
release has bio(4).
If you want to build NetBSD 4.0_RC4 from source, cvs up your source
tree to "netbsd-4-0-RC4", or just along the "netbsd-4" branch.
Alternatively, you can download the source sets from the URL above,
under the source/ directory.
We hope that this release candidate to be the last one before the final
release of NetBSD 4.0. Please help us test it as much as possible to make
NetBSD 4.0 a solid release.
Thanks, the NetBSD Release Engineering team.