Subject: NetBSD and the Google Summer of Code 2007 Summary
To: None <netbsd-announce@NetBSD.org>
From: Mark Weinem <weinem@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-announce
Date: 10/09/2007 02:59:10
NetBSD has been involved in the Google Summer of Code since its conception
in 2005. This year we were glad to once again have the oppertunity to
introduce six students to our operating system, to Open Source
software development and get them sponsored by Google to work on projects
defined by the NetBSD developers:

Julio M. Merino Vidal implemented an "Automated Testing Framework"
(mentored by Martin Husemann):

        http://www.netbsd.org/~jmmv/atf

Oliver Gould started to port the Solaris ZFS file system to NetBSD
(mentored by Dieter Baron)

        http://netbsd-soc.sourceforge.net/projects/zfs

Sumantra R. Kundu started to implement a "Framework For Enforcing QoS
Inside the NetBSD UVM" (mentored by William Stouder-Studenmund):

        http://crewman.uta.edu/~skundu/gsoc_2007.html

Thanks to Antti Kantee's project it is now possibe to run "Kernel File
Systems in Userspace" (mentored by William Stouder-Studenmund)

        http://www.netbsd.org/docs/puffs/rump.html

Jörg Sonnenberger improved the pkgsrc build system (mentored by Johnny
C. Lam):

	 http://netbsd-soc.sourceforge.net/projects/xpkgsrc

and Jáchym Holeček ported Hardware Monitoring and HAL to NetBSD
(mentored by Quentin Garnier):

	http://netbsd-soc.sourceforge.net/projects/hal

Please read the full press release for more details :

	http://netbsd.org/foundation/press/soc2007-summary.html

We thank Google for the opportunity to participate in the Summer of Code
2007. This helps to ensure the continual improvement and innovation of
NetBSD. Congratulations and many thanks to all involved students and
mentors for the great work. We hope that the students will continue
their commitment for NetBSD.