Subject: NetBSD 3.1 Release Candidate 2 available for download
To: None <>
From: Geert Hendrickx <>
List: netbsd-announce
Date: 09/04/2006 20:44:29

on behalf of the NetBSD Release Engineering Team, it is my pleasure to
announce that the second release candidate for NetBSD 3.1 has been
released.  Binaries and ISO's are available from:

If you want to build NetBSD 3.1_RC2 from source, cvs up your source
tree to the "netbsd-3-1-RC2" tag, or just along the "netbsd-3" branch.
Alternatively, you can download the source sets from the URL above,
under the source/ directory.

Improvements over the first release candidate include:
+ fixed the build of NetBSD-vax
+ fixed a buffer overflow in PPPoE/ISDN PPP (SA2006-019)
+ closed a socket leach in accept(2)
+ removed references to sushi(8) from the afterboot(8) manpage
+ fixed an integer overflow in FreeType
+ disabled threading in named(8) to avoid a crash on sparc and sparc64
+ fixed a potential DoS vulnerability in sendmail(8)
+ fixed some special case expansions in sh(1)
+ fixed the output of the "show mount" command in ddb(4)

An overview of major changes since the NetBSD 3.0 release can be found
in the INSTALL.* documents in each architecture's download directory.
A detailed list of all changes can be found in the CHANGES-3.1 file.

Due to some remaining issues, we will need to release a third release
candidate prior to the final 3.1 release.  NetBSD 3.1_RC3 is expected
to be released in two weeks, on September 18, hopefully to be followed
by the NetBSD 3.1 release again two weeks later, on Octobter 2.

Thanks for your patience and your help for making NetBSD 3.1 a strong

Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (NetBSD)