Subject: Announcing NetBSD and the Google "Summer of Code" Projects 2006
To: None <netbsd-announce@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubertf@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-announce
Date: 05/26/2006 00:28:10
  * Announcing NetBSD and the Google "Summer of Code" Projects 2006

The Google ``Summer of Code'' is designed to introduce students to the
world of open source software development, to create new Open Source
programs and to help currently established projects. NetBSD is one of
the projects participating as mentoring organisation in the Summer of
Code for the second time this year, and after evaluating over seventy
distinct applications, the NetBSD Foundation is now pleased to
announce the list of projects that have been chosen:

  1. Project: Support for journaling for FFS
     Student: Kirill Kuvaldin
     Mentor: Manuel BOUYER
     Mentor: Thor Lancelot Simon

  2. Project: Support for MIPS64 ISA
     Student: LIU Qi
     Mentor: Garrett D'Amore
     Mentor: Simon Burge

  3. Project: PowerPC G5 support in NetBSD
     Student: Yevgeny Binder
     Mentor: Allen Briggs
     Mentor: Garrett D'Amore

  4. Project: Improved Writing to FileSystem Using Congestion Control
     Student: Sumantra R. Kundu
     Mentor: Bill Studenmund
     Mentor: Thor Lancelot Simon

  5. Project: TCP ECN support
     Student: Rui Paulo
     Mentor: Kentaro A. Kurahone
     Mentor: Allen Briggs
     Mentor: Matt Thomas

  6. Project: Fast_ipsec and ipv6
     Student: Degroote Arnaud
     Mentor: Sam Leffler
     Mentor: Christos Zoulas
     Mentor: Thor Lancelot Simon

  7. Project: pkg_install rewrite for pkgsrc
     Student: Joerg Sonnenberger
     Mentor: Dieter Baron
     Mentor: Johnny C. Lam
     Mentor: Alistair Crooks
     Mentor: Thomas Klausner

  8. Project: Improving the mbuf API and implementation
     Student: Pavel Cahyna
     Mentor: Martin Husemann
     Mentor: Matt Thomas

In each accepted project, the student will work closely together with
the entire NetBSD community under the supervision of at least one
senior NetBSD developer, who will guide the student and introduce them
into the world of Open Source Software Development.

Hubert Feyrer, vice chair of NetBSD's Communication Executive
Committee, who worked on administration of the Summer of Code within
NetBSD already last year, states that in order to centralize the
different projects and to reduce the administration overhead, we will
re-use the ``NetBSD-SoC'' project site created at Source Forge last
year.  It will function as a common meeting point for mentors and
students as well as a repository in which all code and documentation
generated by the students will be made publicly available.

Martin Husemann, member of the board of directors of the NetBSD
Foundation regrets that ``due to the limited number of sponsored
projects available to us, we had to decide against a number of very
good proposals, unfortunately.  However, we strongly encourage
students who have submitted a proposal to work with the NetBSD
community to finish the project, even if not as part of the Summer of
Code. Rewards will be a great learning opportunity, the satisfaction
resulting from contributing to a significant Open Source project and
seeing your code used by thousands of people.'' Jan Schauman, lead
member of the Communication Executive Committee adds: ``As a volunteer
organisation, we are very grateful for Google to support students to
work on our project, as we cannot pay them. As always, we will be
happy to accept donations to sponsor students whose projects didn't
make it into the set of projects selected this year.''

NetBSD, a free, secure, and highly portable descendant of the BSD UNIX
family, is one of the oldest open source operating systems.  It is
available for many platforms, from 64-bit Opteron machines and desktop
systems to handheld and embedded devices.  Its clean design and
advanced features make it excellent in both production and research
environments; its source is freely available under an unencumbering
business-friendly open source license.  More information is available
at http://www.NetBSD.org/.

To learn more about Google, the ``Summer of Code'' and other Open
Source projects within Google, visit http://www.google.com,
http://code.google.com/soc/ and http://code.google.com.

The NetBSD Foundations Summer of Code project page is available at
http://NetBSD-SoC.sourceforge.net/.

  - Hubert Feyrer
    The NetBSD Foundation